Oral health check-ups with a dentist during pregnancy are as important as visiting your doctor. A woman’s hormonal changes during pregnancy can impact many aspects of her body, including her oral health. In particular, maintaining good tooth health is crucial for overall wellness during pregnancy. The importance of oral health during pregnancy will be covered in this blog, along with crucial dental care advice for women during this joyful time. We will also discuss how Wilmot Family Dentistry is a trusted dental clinic providing full oral healthcare services to pregnant women.
Importance of oral health during pregnancy:
Oral health is critical in maintaining general health and avoiding preventable pregnancy issues. Due to hormonal changes, increased blood circulation, and immune system imbalances, pregnant women are more prone to dental disorders.
Neglecting oral health during this period may contribute to various issues, including:
Dental decay with gingivitis:
Gingivitis during pregnancy is a frequent ailment characterized by swollen, sensitive gums that bleed readily. If neglected, it can proceed to periodontitis, a severe gum disease resulting in tooth loss.
Some pregnant women can get pregnancy tumors and benign growths on the gums. Although they are not malignant and normally disappear after pregnancy, they can cause pain and impact dental health.
Changes in nutrition and increased acidity in the mouth might raise the risk of tooth decay during pregnancy. Poor oral hygiene and frequent munching might worsen this problem.
Epulis of pregnancy:
Epulis is a specific swelling of the gum tissue frequently seen during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. It might be uncomfortable and have an impact on oral hygiene practices.
Tips for dental care during pregnancy:
Consider the following tips to maintain good oral health and minimize the risk of dental problems during pregnancy.
- Schedule a dental appointment: Before and during pregnancy, visit your dentist for a comprehensive examination and cleaning. Inform them about your pregnancy to ensure appropriate care.
- Practice good oral hygiene: Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoridated toothpaste and use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Floss daily to remove plaque and debris from between teeth.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking water helps maintain a healthy pH level in your mouth and optimizes saliva production, essential for neutralizing acids and protecting teeth.
- Manage morning sickness: If you experience morning sickness, rinse your mouth with water or a fluoride mouthwash to reduce the effects of stomach acid on your teeth. Wait for at least 30 minutes before brushing to avoid damaging tooth enamel.
- Communicate with your dentist: Keep your dentist informed about any changes or concerns you have during your pregnancy. They can provide guidance and address any specific issues related to oral health.
Experience exceptional dental care during pregnancy at Wilmot family dentistry:
Wilmot Family Dentistry provides great services suited to your needs for complete dental care throughout pregnancy. Our office offers frequent check-ups and cleanings to ensure your dental health is ideal during pregnancy.
Contact Wilmot Family Dentistry today:
Prioritize your oral health during pregnancy by scheduling an appointment with Wilmot Family Dentistry. Our experienced team is committed to providing exceptional dental care for expectant mothers, ensuring a healthy and beautiful smile. Take the first step towards optimal oral health by calling (520) 790-9100 or visiting our website. Let us support you in achieving a radiant smile throughout your pregnancy journey.